Well, I've paid good money (~$30) to Droid Division for the plans to my very own pit droid.
I'm using a Bambu Labs A1 3D printer with Overture PETG filament.
I decided to print each plate and do the post production processing as I go along so I don't get overwhelmed.
The first real plate is for the feet of the droid. There was a plate before that with about 30 small dowels. When I looked at the plate I immediately thought that I knew better! The dowels were all laying on their sides! "Ha! That can't be right! They should be standing straight up!" I was not thinking that printing them laying flat would make them stronger! Oh well! Hopefully it won't come back to bite me in the ass!
The feet took 12 hours to print! 3D prints aren't fast! That's for sure!
Here's how the feet turned out after printing!
I don't know where this little fella will end up yet. I'm already getting ahead of myself and thinking about paint schemes and accessories! 😆 As I said before, this will definitely not be canon. I'm going to give it a three-color camouflage paint scheme. As you can guess, the feet will be painted black like they are boots.
After sanding down the layer lines I used Bondo glazing and spot putt diluted with acetone to fill in a few places. This was the first time I'd ever used this technique; but I like it. I think I may have to use that on some of my scale model projects.
Once everything was primed I put down a lay of flat black from a rattle can.
The finish came out very smooth and I am quite pleased with the results. I let the paint dry for a couple hours while watching a baseball game then it was time to start scratching up the smooth finish I was so proud of. I dry-brushed the parts with Vallejo Dull Aluminum to give them a "lived-in" look. I then attempted to dirty the feet / boots up with some AK Interactive pigment powders. The results weren't quite what I was expecting so I ordered some Vallejo Diorama FX water-based acrylic mud effects. I wanted them to look like he's been out walking around in the dirt and mud and I think I accomplished that...
Comments
Post a Comment